CTN Torah Minute Home
Hope you had a meaningful Rosh Hashanah!
I would like to share something from CTN’s User Friendly Prayer Service.
Maybe it can help us all make this year a more meaningful one.
… The nervous pilot gets on the public address system.
“Unfortunately, both of our engines our failing. I’ll try my best to control the plane.
But… I don’t know.
I happen to be Jewish. Does anyone know a Jewish prayer”?
There were many Jews on board. But no response.
Getting even more nervous, the pilot says, “Can someone do something Jewish”?
Finally, someone volunteers. Gets up.
And makes an appeal!
… We’re all used to appeals for funds.
The CTN, like all Jewish organizations, does need money!
But there’s something that the Jewish People needs even more than money.
Knowledgeable, passionate and committed Jews.
So on Rosh Hashanah I made an appeal. Not for money.
But for small steps in our Jewish growth.
We gave out pledge cards that said.
“I pledge to take at least two small steps in my Jewish growth”.
1) Trying to speak less Lashon Harah (gossip)
2) Learning to read Hebrew at the CTN Six Week Crash Course
3) Calling Mom (or someone else who would really appreciate it!) once a week
4) Saying “Modeh Ani”, the “thank G-d I’m alive” prayer, every morning
5) Signing up for a four week “Judaism for Dummies” class given by Rabbi Katz
6) Lighting Shabbat candles
7) Trying to greet everyone with a smile, even on “one of those days”
8) Inviting friends to my home for an informal learning session with Rabbi Katz
9) Joining a great family for a traditional Shabbat dinner
10) No thanks. Just came for the service!
… We know how it is.
We’re inspired to make resolutions on Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur.
And we mean it.
But life gets hectic again…
And before you turn around its Rosh Hashanah again! And we haven’t changed!
This year can be different.
Let’s all pledge to do two things on this list.
Send in your pledge to firstname.lastname@example.org
And once a month?
We will send a friendly reminder.
‘How is your pledge to…going? Any way we can help you keep it”?